Novel has Suse Linux standard and professional versions. Besides Novel's own proprietary server product, it has Suse Enterprise Server. Here I must mention that Novel has long relationship with many companies worldwide due to Netware, Groupwise and related products. Redhat was almost synonymous to Linux in many countries and places. They were probably as old as Debian. They have survived and grown to an amazing 2.5 B dollar company. They have Enterprise Server and Workstation products and support from many 3rd party vendor like Oracle, SAP, you name it, it is probably already there.
Linspire and Xandros comparatively newer but has created an appeal to home user in many places. I am not a business guy but I think there is lots of overlapping in there commercial products and not to mention about marketing expenses, management overhead. What I am pedicting is a mega merger among Novell, Redhat, Mandrake, Linspire and Xandros. Novel will be synonymous to workstation distro, Redhat will be branded as Server distro, Linspire+Xandros will be emerged as home user distro. Mandrake will remain as binary version of fedora whereas fedora will be cutting edge experimental source based distro. Mandrake brand will be used for clustering and firewall systems. With a 3 year plan these mega merged company will smooth out binary compatibility issues. They will share there expertise more closely to create world class installer and system management tools for the Linux world. Novell may offer its productline as opensource tools and supported versions will cost thousands of dollar. These model will save millions of dollar worth branding and marketing cost, management cost.
I have already mention that to cut cost and increase revenue, Redhat, Novell, Mandrake, Linspire, Xandros will merge and create formidable force. But the combined company will still lack some goodies of Apple and Sun. Apple and Sun will continue to loose market share. To survive now Sun+Apple+Novell+Redhat+Mandrake+Linspire+Xandros will create the ultimate force to fight Microsoft Dominance. In the process Java, Netware, Groupwise and some apple technologies will enrich open source market. They will eventually create a hybrid distribution with opensource and proprietary technologies that they will capture 45% Market share, leaving 55% market share to windows.