UNIX is great not because it's cool, but because it's simple. Natural development of it would be Open Source and time. With time some things become simpler, some things become irrelevant. Openness -- is what classic, non corrupted science have had.
Unfortunately all this is not the case of modern times: i.e. markets of "toasters inside" and "industries" of handcrafted programming...
Catch ya! You are here! Yes, IMHO modern programming is in big trouble.
Take a look on AVR32. This is a really XXI century architecture. Digital engineers and physicists did maximum what they could. Yet, programmers didn't. C, GCC, uclibc, perl, php, mplayer? Or crap...
* "mid-sized MPEG2 streams saturate the CPU" @
IMHO crappy OS && apps saturate it. GCC is not needed, super-macro assembler/compiler is needed.
"7.4 Experience" @ http://valhenson.org/synthesis/SynthesisOS/ch7.html
Short and incomplete overview: http://lwn.net/Articles/270081/
* Shell is a basic building block of UNIX
who developed /bin/sh significally in last 20 years?
* my prev post about RE and "cool" `perl`.
* HTML/XML Java+script and all other modern stuff.
* no culture
* simple minded spam filtering
* stupid not needed legacy, preventing development
* "userspace sucks" and stupidly huge kernel-only development of Linux
* add yours