I won't say it was easy or pretty, but I did it.
The only two things I really need the Blackberry for (apart from stable
calling :-)) are the password safe (which I have written a replacement
for, and others exist), and the alarm clock (might have to put a new
fresh battery in my alarm watch).
Trying to cut the umbilical cord to my Blackberry 7290 before its aging
bones turn to dust, I've been moving stuff to my ASU-software Freerunner.
Note that ** I do not advocate that anybody else do this yet**.
I'm just documenting what I did in case anybody else likes living on the
edge (Hey, I run OpenBSD -current on my laptop, so I can put up with
e.g., OpenOffice being broken for a day or two while I resolve
conflicting ports updates). Or if somebody wants to try this once things
are more stable :-)
1) Getting contacts out of Blackberry (requires Unix or Linux, might
work on Windows with emulation of UNIX: cygwin, mingw, etc).
Download 'barry' from http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry/
Run btool to dump the Contacts database to "contacts.txt" (I forget the
exact syntax here, sorry). Do NOT use the LDIF option!
2) Convert contacts to SQL format for SQLite.
Download my barrycontacts2qtsql from
Or, setup an anoncvs form my repo as per instructions
at http://javacook.darwinsys.com/download.html; it's in the "scripts"
project, as are the backup and restore scripts cited below (hundreds of
other UNIX shell scripts too); this way you'll get updates if I make any.
awk -F': +' -f $(SCRIPTS)/barrycontacts2qtsql contacts.txt > contacts.sql
3) Grab a copy of the existing database
ian:15$ cat bkup_om_contacts
scp phone2:/Applications/Qtopia/qtopia_db.sqlite ~/openmoko/
4) Merge bb contacts into sqlite
In theory using any sql database tool (I used my own SQLRunner tool (see
http://javacook.darwinsys.com/download.html) with the sqlite-jdbc driver